Understanding How Currency Exchange Works


Written By: Ehsan Jahandarpour
how currency exchange works

To understand how currency exchange works, you must understand how the market for different currencies works. The exchange rate fluctuates based on the value of the component currencies. The more demand there is for a currency, the higher its value will be. Conversely, if demand is low, the currency will lose value. That does not mean that people do not want money; it simply means that people would rather hold wealth in another form.

Foreign exchange market

The foreign exchange market is a complex market composed of both supply and demand. The participants in the market include businesses that trade internationally, international tourists, and international investors who purchase ownership of foreign firms or make financial investments without ownership. It’s also a vital tool for managing foreign exchange risks. To help you navigate the market, you’ll want to understand how the tools of supply and demand are used.

Foreign currencies are necessary for payments across national borders. They are also used for financial transactions between two countries. However, only 15 percent of transactions in the foreign exchange market involve the exchange of goods and services, and the remaining 85% are speculative. This means that the foreign exchange market is used by a diverse group of individuals, from large global corporations to smaller banks. Some of these individuals use the market to make direct portfolio investments across borders, while others engage in money market trading.

Basic exchange rate

The Basic exchange rate is the rate at which one currency is exchanged for another. For example, if the rate is 114 Japanese Yen for US$1, this means that Y=114 can be bought for US$1 (or the other way around). The exchange rate may not be exact every time, so you may have to ask a foreign currency exchange broker about the current exchange rate for your chosen currency.

Another way to think about the exchange rate is to look at how the value of a currency is calculated. It’s a great way to see how much money is worth in a particular country and how much it will cost to buy that currency. You can also compare the currency values of two countries by looking at the interbank exchange rate.

Government market intervention in currency exchange

The intervention of governments in currency exchange markets is a way for countries to influence the currency market and stabilize its values. Various central banks and the government are involved in currency exchange market interventions. The Bank of Japan, for instance, is a major player in the foreign exchange market. It has intervened in the market on more than 160 occasions. In one notable event, it bought $13.2 billion worth of U.S. dollars on April 3, 2000 to stop the depreciation of the dollar against the yen.

While it is important to understand the logic behind currency exchange market intervention, it is also important to consider the costs of this type of intervention. Moreover, foreign exchange market intervention has the potential to reduce the costs of overshooting. Nonetheless, these interventions are not justified if there is a more efficient way of achieving the desired objective.

Convenience factor in currency exchange

Convenience is a subjective factor that is not always reflected by explicit fees or conversion rates. It is more a function of time and effort. For example, if you need to change $1.110 USD into euro, a different bank might charge $1.105 USD instead. However, if you prefer to exchange money through your bank, you might find it less convenient to use the different bank.

Convenience orientation affects buying decisions and service evaluation. A 2007 study showed that mobile shoppers ranked convenience as the most important factor. The lawsuit surrounding the one-click patent is costing companies millions of dollars. Ultimately, the convenience factor can reduce the cost of serving a customer.

Comments are closed.