Saint John is the largest city in New Brunswick and the second largest city in the maritime provinces. It is known as the Fundy City due to its location on the north shore of the Bay of Fundy at the mouth of the Saint John River, as well as being the only city on the bay. In 1785 Saint John became the first incorporated city in Canada. Saint John had a population of 70,063 in 2011 over an area of . The Saint John metropolitan area covers a land area of across the Caledonia Highlands, with a population (as of 2011) of 127,761 making it the second largest CMA in New Brunswick behind Moncton and marking an increase of 4.4% since 2006.